Wednesday, July 30, 2014

IRELAND! part two: "She Was Fine When She Left Here"

 
During our first few days in Belfast we walked all over.  We discovered downtown, city hall, the various parks, Queens University, and the shipyards where the Titanic was built.
 
 
We managed to make our way to the Ulster Museum where we saw an interesting exhibit on the art of the troubles.  I'm only still just learning about what happened during the troubles (outside of what I was taught in school) so Roibeard had to help explain a few of the pieces, but I am still so glad that we went.  Even though the imagery depicts a violent and hurtful past it is good to see that negative energy used through artwork instead of being used to harm other people or to get revenge.  I also think it's an important way of documenting the city's past.
 
On a lighter note, the grounds outside of the museum were absolutely beautiful and perfect for frolicking.  It was a bit chilly a lot of the time, but I have to say that overall we were quite lucky in terms of the weather.  I was worried it was going to be non-stop rain, but there was only the odd shower here and there.
 




 
 
Our walk led us down to Queen's Quay which borders the River Lagan in the Titanic Quarter of Belfast.  It was here where I was able to marvel at the enormous Samson and Goliath.  The cranes are located in the shipyard of Harland and Wolff.  Goliath was constructed first in 1969 and Samson in 1974.  I have been told that they are still in use today.

 




 
Due to time we were unable to go into the Titanic Museum.  Even so, just walking along the Titanic Quarter was interesting enough on its own!
 
Oh oh!  Down by the shipyards we found a film studio!  I was told it's where they film Game of Thrones, which I have never actually watched...but...it was still cool to see all of the props! 

No comments:

Post a Comment