Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Week 31

 
Ahh, there's nothing quite like a simple white dress in summer.  I got this dress at my favorite vintage shop in Michigan when I was in town for my baby shower.  I love it so much!  Although I have to say it is not the best choice for trips to the neighorhood ice cream shop.  You don't want to see the aftermath of these photos.  Trust me.  Ice cream disaster.



 
Doesn't my hair look pretty awesome in the above photo?  It looks like I'm rocking some serious feathered bangs.  Yuck.  I feel like you have to include the goofy photos as much as possible though.  My hair isn't great (damn you wind!) but it's all in good fun. I was happy in the moment and that's what is important.


 

It's weird, a few weeks ago everyone was doting over my belly and now all of the sudden everyone has become increasingly judgemental of it.  I haven't really been around too many pregnant women to know what is and isn't normal.  My doctor is happy with my weight gain and has told me I'm well within the healthy range.  That's what matters to me.  However all of the sudden everyone I come across seems to feel the need to tell me that I'm huge and either my baby is coming way before August or that it's going to be a gigantic baby. 
 
There are a few things about the weight gain that I am not too fond of - cellulite in places where it never existed previously for instance.  Other than that I am just mostly amazed at the fact that my body has the ability to stretch and grow so much.  I love my pregnant belly.  I mean it's just so incredible, especially now that I can actually see when the baby is moving and kicking. 
 
I've been reading a lot of pregnancy blogs and articles lately and I keep coming across all of these "belly shaming" ones.  They list all of these tips about staying "healthy" during pregnancy.  "Work out just like you normally would every day...run 2 hours on the treadmill the day you go into labor".  "Stick to a strict diet, don't give into cravings".  "If you are committed you shouldn't gain more than 15 lbs and should be back to your old body a few days after leaving the hospital."
 
I'm sure this is all well and good for some people, but the part about these articles that I find shocking is that the alternative to following these rules, in their opinion, is becoming obese.  Which is just straight up blasphemy.  I practiced yoga regularly up until about my 10th week of pregnancy.  All of the twisting, bending, and constant flow of movement started making me feel really sick.  The last session I did I spent the night throwing up.  My body was telling me it was done, it needed a break.  Did this mean I was destined to become obese? Heck no.
 
After yoga failed me I tried to remain active in other ways.  I was still working about 8 hours a day on my feet up until my second trimester.  I was also walking 30 minutes to and 30 minutes from my second job about 4 times a week.  But you know what?  I now work 4 hours a day on my feet because if I work more than that my hips, back, legs, and feet all give out and I'm stuck fighting back tears as I talk to customers.  For my other job I now have to take the bus to and from work because again...hips, back, legs, and feet.  Does this mean that I am destined to become obese?  Heck no.
 
As far as eating habits go I was always "mostly" healthy before my pregnancy.  I followed a vegetarian lifestyle.  I cooked most of my own food.  I tried to avoid foods with additives and ingredients that I cannot pronounce.  I even rarely drank soda and other sugar heavy drinks.  However, just having my menstrual cycle is enough to throw all of that healthy eating out the window.  Add the fact that I am actually growing a little person inside of me and I feel that it's understandable if my eating habits are a little different than those of a health food fanatic.  I've had pretty bad morning sickness and food aversions throughout the entirety of my pregnancy.  Yet I find that if I don't eat once every two hours I get equally as ill.  Oh, and the baby loves sweets.  Does this mean that I am destined to become obese?  Heck no.
 
So far I've gained between 20-25 lbs.  If I continue to gain 1 lb/week that means I have 9 more lbs to gain.
 
To any other pregnant women out there if I could give you any advice it would be to not try to hide your pregnancy or aim to never have a bump.  Embrace and love your new body.  It's  beautiful and completely amazing. <3
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment